- Shortness of breath (dyspnea). This is one of the earliest signs of heart failure. The patient will become winded and more fatigued just by doing regular activities. The patient may be uncomfortable or restless lying down and may require extra pillows or need to sit up.
- Difficultly sleeping at night and waking up short of breath.
- Cough may be worse when lying down.
- Swelling (edema) of the legs, feet, abdomen. This is an early sign of heart failure, although it can also be caused by unrelated conditions.
- Mental confusion
- Kidney malfunction (usually in the latter stages of heart failure).
- Lack of energy and decreased tolerance to exercise.
Click here for our Heart Failure Control Plan