Volunteers are a vital part of the Palmetto Health Hospice team, giving their time and emotional support to our patients, their families, and the hospice staff. With offices in Columbia and in Newberry, SC, we offer volunteer opportunities across the Midlands. Our volunteers enjoy serving others with a compassionate attitude and a reassuring smile. Our active volunteers consist of full-time and part-time employed individuals, students, homemakers and retirees.
To become a Palmetto Health Volunteer, please complete our Volunteer Application.
- Columbia Office
803-296-3100 or 800-238-1884
Serving Aiken, Calhoun, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lancaster, Lexington, Richland, Sumter
- Newberry Office
803-405-0808 or 800-518-5175
Chester, Fairfield, Lancaster, Laurens, Lexington, Newberry, Saluda, Union
- Direct Patient Care – Opportunities include patient assignments in the home, assisted living facilities and nursing facilities. Volunteers provide non-medical assistance to the patient and family. This could include providing relief care for the primary caregiver, companionship and emotional support. Volunteers may also run errands and provide transportation.
- Administrative – Clerical opportunities exist in every department of Palmetto Health HomeCare/Hospice.
- Training – All hospice volunteers receive training on the emotional, spiritual and psychological needs of the patient and family. Training is offered on an ongoing basis to anyone interested in becoming a hospice volunteer.
- Health Fairs – Palmetto Health Hospice continually participates in area health fairs and volunteers assist in providing information about hospice services.
- Fund Raising – Volunteers support hospice fund raising efforts organized by the Palmetto Health Foundation.
- Bereavement Opportunities
- Brett's Rainbow is a children's bereavement camp held in the spring and fall. Volunteers serve as camp counselors and assist with all activities at the camp including classroom projects, the fun fair, set-up and clean-up.
- Memorial Services are held to honor and remember those we have loved and lost. Volunteers welcome and seat guests as well as accompany family members of hospice patients.
If you have a genuine concern for others and are willing to assist 2 to 4 hours per week, then hospice volunteering may be the opportunity for you. Click here to apply online or call the Volunteer Coordinator at (803) 296-3143 or Toll-Free at 1-800 238-1884, Ext. 3143.
Palmetto Health Hospice is licensed to provide care in 13 South Carolina counties to terminally ill patients of all ages and their families. Palmetto Health Hospice was the first licensed hospice in the state. We do NOT require a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) status for admission to the program. Palmetto Health Hospice supports the patient's choice.