- Patient & Visitor Information
- Our Physician Practices
- Specialty Centers
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Community Outreach
- Community Health Initiatives
- Community Health Needs Assessment
- Community Support Programs
- Driver Rehabilitation Program
- Emergency Preparedness
- Walk for Life - Race for Life
- Healthy Aging Program Initiative (HAPI)
- SAFE KIDS Midlands
- Palmetto Health-YMCA
- Sickle Cell Center
- Support Groups
- Speakers Bureau
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
Diabetes is the seventh-leading cause of death in South Carolina. To help reduce the risk for our neighbors, Palmetto Health offers a community diabetes education and prevention program. Currently, there are an estimated 300,000–350,000 people living with diabetes in our state, and many are unaware that they have the disease. Our Diabetes Initiative provides awareness, education and screening for type 2 diabetes to high-risk men and women ages 18 and older. Diabetes is twice as common among African-Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans and Asian-Americans.
Palmetto Health Diabetes Initiatives Include:
- Free Screenings – High-risk adults 18 and older can be screened regardless of income or insurance. Screenings are offered at community sites where 50 people are present and eligible to be screened.
To host a free screening at your location, call 803-296-3070.
To schedule an appointment for a free screening, call 803-296-CARE(2273).
- Free Diabetes Prevention Programs – Palmetto Health's Office of Community Health offers a free Diabetes Prevention Program, which is designed to help participants delay or prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes through supervised exercise, educational classes and nutritional counseling. The program is open to residents of Richland, Lexington and Fairfield counties. Physician referral is required.
- Healthy Palmetto – This collaboration among Palmetto Health and community partners encourages healthy weight, nutrition and physical activity to help families live healthier stronger lives.
- HealthyPalmetto.org – A website that provides information on good nutrition and physical activity.
- Fit.Together – Health education classes focusing on diabetes, nutrition and physical activity for fifth-grade students at participating schools.
- We Can – A healthy education program for parents.
To find additional information about diabetes visit:
- Palmetto Health BMI (Body Mass Index) chart
- American Diabetes Association
- Centers for Disease Control Diabetes information
- Diabetes Initiative of South Carolina
If you or someone you know has any of these symptoms, call 803-296-CARE (2273) or email for more information and learn if you meet eligibility requirements for a free diabetes screening.
Additionally, if you or someone you know is diagnosed with diabetes and would like to participate in a comprehensive outpatient diabetes education program, please visit Diabetes Education or you may call 803-296-8906.