Improving the Patient Experience
Palmetto Health values ongoing feedback from patients on their overall expereince in our hospital facilities and outpatient settings.
Physician Benefits of a Positive Patient Experience
- Reduced call-backs from staff, patients and families
- Reduced liability
- Improved community reputation
- Increased referrals
- Personal fulfillment at the end of the day
AIDET is our framework for communicating with patients. There's a lot we can do to reduce customer anxiety and improve customer satisfaction through the care they receive. What that involves on our part is understanding that a good clinical outcome, while the ultimate goal, isn't the only thing that counts — how we treat patients as people can be as important to them as how we treat their bodies. That can get lost in the midst of a busy schedule. AIDET is a way to help us stop and remember.
- Acknowledges the customer
- Introduces self
- Thanks the customer
HCAHPS Physician Survey Questions
Palmetto Health uses the CMS HCAPS Survey for gaining feedback on the patient care experience. Listed below are the survey questions related to patient interaction with physicians:
- During this hospital stay, how often did doctors treat you with courtesy and respect?
- During this hospital stay, how often did doctors listen carefully to you?
- During this hospital stay, how often did doctors explain things in a way you could understand?
- Patients are provided with the following response options
Service Recovery is initiated when a customer receives less than excellent service. Service Recovery is the handling of complaints, problems or difficulties within our organization. Simply stated, Service Recovery is the art of making things right when things go wrong. Palmetto Health uses the ACT model for Service Recovery.
Apologize for not meeting the customer's expectations.
Correct the service issue.
Thank the customer for bringing the issue to your attention, and assure proper follow-through to prevent a recurrence.
After attempting to apply service recovery efforts, if you feel the patient and family would benefit from speaking with another party regarding their situation, please recommend they follow up with Patient Relations.
Palmetto Health Baptist – 803-296-5129
Palmetto Health Richland – 803-434-6237