Institutional Review Board
Please see new information on our Compliance page regarding financial conflicts of interest training for research personnel.
What is the IRB?
The Palmetto Health Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a board established in accord with Federal regulations to protect the rights and welfare of all human subjects who volunteer to participate in research studies conducted under the auspices of Palmetto Health. The IRB oversees compliance with Federal, State, and organizational guidelines relating to research with human subjects.
The IRB is responsible for reviewing all research involving human subjects, insuring the equitable selection of research subjects, ensuring that potential research-related risks are minimized, and that there is full disclosure so that volunteers can make an informed decision to participate.
Palmetto Health has two IRBs. Palmetto Health IRB #1 meets the first Friday of each month. Palmetto Health IRB #2 meets the third Friday of each month.
|Download our "Becoming A Research Volunteer" brochure|
Not Human Subject Research reviews and Exempt Human Subject Research reviews are generally completed within 14 days. The time frame does not include the time a study is returned to the investigator for changes requested by the IRB staff or reviewer.
Expedited reviews are generally completed within 14 days. The timeframe excludes the time required for Scientific Review Committee approval and the time a study is returned to the investigator for changes requested by the IRB staff or reviewer.
Full committee reviews are generally completed within 30 days. The timeframe excludes the time required for Scientific Review Committee approval and the time a study is returned to the investigator for changes requested by the IRB staff or reviewer.
Flow Chart – IRB Process
2014 IRB Meeting Schedule and Submission Deadlines
IRB Policies & Procedures
Human Research Protection Program Policy
- Humanitarian Use Device
- Human Subject Research Determination Checklist
- Exempt Determination Checklist
- Expedited Initial Review Checklist
- Full Board Review Checklist
- Emergency Use of a Test Article Checklist
- Advertisements Worksheet
- Payments Worksheet
- Short Form Consent Document Worksheet
- Data Use Agreement Form
- Impacted Services Agreement Form
- Protocol – Instructions Template
- Protocol – No Instructions Template
- Consent Document Template
- Emergency Use Consent Document Template
- Consent Document Short Form Template
- Consent Addendum for Cooperative Review Template
- Short Form Written Summary Template
- Research Authorization Template
Palmetto Health is a registered IRB Organization with the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP), (IORG0000425).
Palmetto Health IRB #1 is registered with OHRP, (IRB00000715).
Palmetto Health IRB #2 is registered with OHRP, (IRB00000915).
Palmetto Health has an approved Federalwide Assurance (FWA) with OHRP, (FWA00000128).
Palmetto Health IRBs are organized and operate in compliance with FDA regulations 21 CFR Parts 50 and 56, DHHS regulations 45 CFR Part 46, and the International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) and The Common Rule as appropriate. The IRBs also functions as the Privacy Board in compliance with portions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA Privacy Rule) that apply to research, as described in 45 CFR Parts 160 and 164. PH IRB utilizes a 21 CFR Part 11 compliant, electronic IRB platform (eIRB) for protocol submissions.
The IRBs are composed of persons who are sufficiently qualified, through experience and expertise, to review the research presented to them. Each board includes at least one member whose primary concerns are in nonscientific areas and one member who is not affiliated with the institution, or part of the immediate family of a person who is affiliated with the institution.
Resources and Links
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
- Department of Defense (DOD)
- Department of Education (ED)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Electronic Records; Electronic Signatures (21 CFR 11)
- Expanded Access to Investigational Drugs for Treatment Use
- Guidance Documents
- Institutional Review Boards (21 CFR 56)
- Investigational Device Exemptions (21 CFR 812)
- Investigational New Drug Application (21 CFR 312)
- Humanitarian Use Devices (21 CFR 814)
- Protection of Human Subjects (21 CFR 50)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (45 CFR Parts 160-164)
- Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP)
- Protection of Human Subjects (45 CFR 46)
- Expedited Review Categories
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Health Sciences South Carolina (HSSC)
- International Council on Harmonisation