- Patient & Visitor Information
- Quality and Patient Safety
- Our Physician Practices
- Specialty Centers
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Residency & Fellowship Programs
- Pharmacy Residency Program
- Administrative Fellowship Program
- Continuing Medical Education
- Josey Health Science Library
- Pastoral Education Programs
- Research Division
- Simulation Center
- Technical Education Programs
- Community Outreach
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
PGY2 - Critical Care
Residency in Critical Care Pharmacy (PGY2)
Palmetto Health Richland is an innovative and progressive facility affiliated with the South Carolina College of Pharmacy and the University Of South Carolina School Of Medicine. The hospital is a 649-bed tertiary care center with a level 1 trauma center, free standing heart hospital, 18 bed PICU, and 67 bed level3 NICU. Critical care patient units include medical intensive care, surgical/trauma intensive care, cardiovascular surgery intensive care, and medical/surgical step-down. Specialties include neurology, nephrology, infectious disease, oncology, pulmonology, gastroenterology, orthopedics, nutrition, and emergency services.
The PGY2 residency in critical care pharmacy at Palmetto Health Richland is designed to transition PGY1 residency graduates from general practitioner to one in a specialized practice that meets the needs of critically ill patients. PGY2 residency graduates exit equipped to be fully integrated members of the interdisciplinary critical care team, able to make complex medication and nutrition support recommendations in this fast-paced environment. Training focuses on developing the resident with the capabilities to understand a wide range of diseases and disorders that occur in the critically ill. Special emphasis is placed on the complexities of multiple organ system failure and the difficulties imposed on care when patients require life-sustaining equipment.
Graduates of the critical care residency are experienced in short-term research in the critical care environment and excel in their ability to teach other health professionals and those in training to be health professionals. They also acquire the experience necessary to exercise leadership for critical care practice in the health system.
- Demonstrate leadership and practice management skills in critical care.
- Optimize the outcomes of critically ill patients by providing evidence-based medication therapy as an integral part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate excellence in the provision of training, including preceptorship, or educational activities for health care professionals and health care professionals in training.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to conduct a critical care pharmacy research project.
- Participate in the management of medical emergencies.
- Perform quality improvement activities aimed at enhancing the safety and effectiveness of the medication-use process in the critical care area.