Become a Volunteer
Steps to becoming a Personal Touch Volunteer:
- Complete and submit an application.
- References listed on the application are contacted by the Personal Touch Department.
- Upon receipt of two reference questionnaires, an interview is scheduled with the applicant.
- Volunteers accepted for training attend the Personal Touch Training Course (offered 4 times per year) and complete required health work.
- Applicants accepted into the program are interviewed by the nurse manager of the unit in which they choose to serve.
- An appointment is scheduled to have a photo identification badge made and to purchase a uniform.
- New volunteers are oriented to their units by experienced volunteers for one or two shifts.
- New Personal Touch Volunteers begin their weekly shift.
Because of the unusual opportunity for volunteers to provide hands on care as members of the patient care team, the qualifying process is exacting. Please understand that completion of each of these steps is required in order to assure that all regulations are met and that every consideration is given for the safety of our patients and volunteers alike.
Next Personal Touch Training courses:
Saturday, June 22, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Deadline for application: May 1
Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Deadline for application: August 1
*You must also attend the Palmetto Health Hospital Corporate Orientation, which is offered every Monday from 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m, at the Greystone Blvd. location. This must be completed before you can attend the Personal Touch Training.
College students are considered for June and September training months only.
As a pilot program, the first training class of 15 volunteers began their service in March, 1990. One of those original trainees are still active Personal Touch Volunteers today.
More Questions? Want To Sign Up? – For additional information on becoming a Personal Touch Volunteer at Palmetto Health Baptist, contact the Personal Touch Volunteer Department, at (803) 296-5570. You also may e-mail the Personal Touch team by clicking here.
Or, click here for our online Personal Touch Volunteer application.
Application must be complete in order to be considered.