Hospitals  > Richland  > Our History 

Our History

Our History

Palmetto Health Richland, originally founded in 1892 as Columbia Hospital,has a history rich in service to the community. As one of the state's oldest, largest and most respected healthcare providers, it serves patients from every county in the state and beyond. It is a regional community teaching hospital with more than 100 medical specialties and subspecialties represented on its medical staff and is a major referral center for patients who require specialized medical care.

On February 8, 1998, Richland Memorial Hospital merged with Baptist Healthcare System of South Carolina to form Palmetto Health, the largest healthcare delivery system in the state with two hospitals in Columbia and one in Easley, South Carolina. The creation of Palmetto Health brought with it many changes. A new name and a new mission and vision together with a new commitment to improving healthcare and community wellness. It also has inspired an outpouring of innovative ideas that address community health issues in positive and proactive ways. And still, many things have remained the same, namely the caring, dedicated physicians, staffs and volunteers of our respective hospitals.