- Patient & Visitor Information
- Quality and Patient Safety
- Commitment to Quality
- How We Measure Quality
- How Others Measure Us
- Patient Satisfaction
- Advance Directives
- Quality & Patient Safety Partners
- Patient Safety Tips
- Our Physician Practices
- Specialty Centers
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Community Outreach
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
Quality and Patient Safety > Patient Safety Tips > Hospitalization
If you are hospitalized:
- If you are in the hospital, ask all health care workers coming in direct contact with you if they have washed their hands. Hand-washing is the single most effective means for preventing spread of infection in hospitals.
- Each time you are given a medication, ask what it is. If you suspect an error, ask the nurse to double-check the order to verify it is correct.
- When you are being discharged from the hospital, ask for a complete explanation of your treatment plan. This includes information about your medications, level of activity, diet, when you can return to work, and any needed follow-up appointments.