- Patient & Visitor Information
- Our Physician Practices
- Specialty Centers
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Behavioral Care
- Breast Center
- Cardiac Services
- Cerebrovascular Center
- Chest Pain ER
- Dental Center
- Diabetes Education
- Geriatric Services
- HomeCare Services/Hospice
- Imaging Services
- Laboratory Services
- Mobile Critical Care Unit
- Outpatient Services
- Palmetto Health Counseling
- Imaging Center
- Parkridge Surgery Center
- PET/CT Imaging Center
- Pharmacy Services
- Prostate Health
- Physical and Specialty Therapy
- Research Physical Therapy Specialists
- Sleep Diagnostic Centers
- Women's Services
- Wound Care
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Community Outreach
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
Congratulations on the approaching arrival of your baby!
This is one of the most important events of your life. That’s why we’ve gone to great lengths to provide an extraordinary place for you to make your special delivery.
Birthplace at Palmetto Health Richland will start you and your baby off with all the advantages. We offer the highest level of comprehensive care in a beautiful, inviting facility. Major features include:
- A secure unit with access restricted to physician/nursing staff. Patients and visitors must be granted permission to enter the unit. These extra security measures are inplace to ensure infant safety.
- 16 Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR) rooms. All of our rooms are spacious, private and comfortably furnished. We have breathtaking Italian landscape murals and latest state-of-the-art monitoring equipment — including fetal monitors and baby warmers — so your physician and nurse always knows how you’re doing. The design of the rooms gives an atmosphere of comfort, helping to welcome your new baby. Tours of the Birthplace maternity unit are available and included in many of our childbirth education classes. Call 296-CARE to schedule and register for tours. Tours last approximately 30 minutes.
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR
- 3 large surgical suites with a 4-bed holding area and a 5-bed recovery area. An anesthesiologist is available at all times to respond immediately to any emergency or to your request for pain relief.
- Centrally located Nursing Station to support the entire unit. It consists of the latest computer technology and baby monitoring.
- Newborn Nursery Area that is adjacent to L&D for easy transition.
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. If needed, our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit — the highest available level of neonatal care — offers some of the state’s most advanced technology to care for the smallest babies with the most serious complications. Our neonatologists and nursing staff are here to ensure your baby receives the best care possible from the beginning.
Once your baby is born, you will be taken to a comfortable postpartum room. Here you will enjoy a welcoming and quiet environment. It’s a place to relax and bond with your baby before heading home.
The safety and security of you and your child is of utmost importance to us at Palmetto Health Richland. Many steps have been taken to assure your safety. Your nurse will instruct you about these steps during your admission process.
- Your child should always be in your direct vision. If you need to leave your room or plan to go to sleep, alert your nurse to take your baby to the nursery for safe keeping.
- Please alert us if you have any questions or concerns. We are always available to assist you with your needs.
The Women's Channel offers a variety of in-room informational videos available on subjects such as Infant CPR, Baby Basics, and Breastfeeding. Your nurse will assist you locating this television channel.
With your permission, we will submit an announcement of your child’s birth to the local newspaper. You also will have the opportunity to have your baby’s picture taken and posted to our website, allowing distant family and friends to share in your joy.
We are pleased to offer a variety of programs and classes to help you and your family. For more information about any of these classes, please call us at 434-3577. To register for one of our classes, call us at (803) 296-2273 (CARE). For Prenatal Care, please call 434-4100.
More expectant mothers are breastfeeding their babies. Lactation Services at Palmetto Health Richland offers support and guidance for new mothers as they decide what is best for them and their baby. For your convenience, the Birthplace Shoppe sells supplies and breastfeeding equipment, such as breast pumps, as well as a large selection of nursing bras with certified staff available to help ensure proper fit. Our services also include consults with a member of our Breastfeeding Team, free weight checks, prenatal breastfeeding classes, breast pump rental, and our telephone help lines. The Shoppe, located in the fourth floor lobby of the hospital, is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information or questions about our services, please call (803) 434-3577.