- Patient & Visitor Information
- Our Physician Practices
- Specialty Centers
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center
- Patient Care Services
- Education, Residency Programs & Research
- Community Outreach
- Patient Stories
- Palmetto Health Foundation
- Volunteer Programs
Once your surgery is complete, you will be escorted to the recovery room where you will be closely observed by your recovery room nurse. Your spouse or responsible adult will be invited to join you.
Your recovery room nurse will review your individualized discharge instructions with you and your spouse or responsible adult and prepare you for discharge. A copy of your discharge instructions will be given to you. You should follow your discharge instructions to help you have a safe and expedious recovery.
You will be provided with liquid refreshments.
If you received sedation or general anesthesia you will be in recovery for approximately 45 minutes to one hour before you can be discharged from the center. If you have a procedure where only a local or numbing medicine was used, your discharge time will be in approximately 15 minutes. Each patient’s response to surgery varies, and your plan of discharge will be individualized based on your response.
It is not unusual to still feel sleepy when you are discharged.
- You must have a responsible adult over the age of 18 to drive you home.
- We prefer that a responsible adult over the age of 18 stay with you for the next 24 hours after your surgical procedure.
- Take all medications as directed and utilize your pharmacist for further information about your prescriptions.
- If an antibiotic has been prescribed for you, finish the entire prescription as directed.
- Resume you home medications as directed by your surgeon.
- If you are taking pain medications, take them as prescribed. Do not try to wait until the pain is unbearable before you take your pain medication. It will harder to control the pain if you do not take the medication as prescribed.
- If you have additional questions, problems or concerns, do not hesitate to contact your surgeon at any time.
- A follow-up appointment with your surgeon will be made and provided to you during your stay. If for any reason you need to change the appointment day or time, please notify your surgeon’s office.
- Expect a telephone call the day after your surgery from one of our recovery room nurses. We want to make sure you are progressing well and answer any additional questions you may have. You will be asked about your experience at the surgery center.