Palmetto SeniorCare is a program of Palmetto Health which provides frail senior citizens in Richland and Lexington counties with healthcare options that allow them to receive daily medical care at an adult day health center. This allows the patient an opportunity to remain at home with family.
Frequently, families become frustrated with the responsibilities of providing around-the-clock supervision and support to a loved one. The emphasis often tends to be more on what the elderly can no longer do rather than on what they can do. The primary goal of Palmetto SeniorCare is to help participants remain active in their families and community, as long as it is socially, medically and economically feasible.
Financed through Medicare and Medicaid, the program is able to pool funding sources to provide care based on the needs of individuals and not reimbursement guidelines for traditional fee for service payment sources.
Once enrolled in the program, all services are provided by Palmetto SeniorCare rather than by individual providers under the traditional fee-for-service system. If the participant is eligible for Medicare and/or Medicaid, Palmetto SeniorCare takes the place of the standard Medicare and/or Medicaid programs. This is made possible through a special agreement Palmetto SeniorCare has with Medicare and Medicaid. The only payment made by Medicare and/or Medicaid for the care the participant needs will be one payment each month to Palmetto SeniorCare.
Eligibility and Enrollment
All older adults are welcome to participate at Palmetto SeniorCare. Participants are eligible for the program if they...
- are at least 55 years old;
- are residents of Richland or Lexington counties
- are certified by the Department of Health and Human Services to have met the nursing home requirements for the State of South Carolina
- are able to live in the community without jeopardizing their health or safety
A referral may be made by a family member, physician or case worker by calling our Intake Department at (803) 931-8175.
- Palmetto SeniorCare was the first PACE program (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly) in the state, and the only project directly structured as part of a hospital organization. View one of our sites. Palmetto SeniorCare has gained national recognition for its non-traditional approach to caring for the frail elderly. PACE is based upon the successful long-term care model in San Francisco known as On Lok. This program was developed as a special health plan for senior citizens. Older people often have medical problems that last for long periods of time. This health plan can arrange for doctors, nurses or other specially trained people to help with these problems. It also gives PSC participants a place to go to receive this care.
The program serves approximately 365 patients at four locations in the Columbia, SC area, including:
Palmetto SeniorCare Laurel
|Palmetto SeniorCare Lexington
700 Knox Abbott Drive
West Columbia, SC 29169
|Palmetto SeniorCare Shandon
1100 Shirley Street
Columbia, SC 29205
|Palmetto SeniorCare White Rock
109 Wartburg Street
White Rock, SC 29177