YOUR HOSPITAL BILL
Your bill reflects all of the services you receive during your stay. Charges fall into two categories:
- A basic daily rate that includes your hospital room, meals, nursing care, housekeeping and general upkeep costs.
- Charges for specific services that include items your physician orders for you, including medications, anesthesia, oxygen, special treatments, dressings, and X-rays or laboratory tests.
All of the services reflected as charges on your bill were ordered by your doctor(s) for specific reasons.
In addition to your hospital bill, you will receive bills from doctors who independently bill for their services. These bills will be for doctors who directly cared for you and doctors who you did not see in person. These bills are for professional services rendered by these doctors in diagnosing and interpreting test results while you were a patient. Pathologists, radiologists, cardiologists, anesthesiologists and other specialists perform these services and are required to submit separate bills. If you have questions about these bills, please call the number printed on the statement(s) you receive from them.
Several days after your hospital stay, we will finalize your bill and send you a patient friendly billing statement, outlining the total charges for your stay and asking you to confirm the accuracy of the insurance information listed.
- If you have insurance, we will file the claim with your insurance carrier. We will not contact you again until after your insurance company has paid and there is a patient balance or we need additional information from you to process the insurance claim.
- If you do not have insurance, please contact us to make appropriate arrangements for your bill. You may reach a customer service representative in the Patient Accounts department at 803-296-5098 or toll-free at 1-800-243-7711, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Patients will be treated fairly and with respect during and after their treatment regardless of the source of payment for the services they receive. In order to determine if you are potentially eligible for reimbursement by your insurance carrier, please contact a financial counselor at 803-434-3834 or 803-296-3525.
- Patients who carry health care insurance should remember that services are rendered and charged to the patient and not to the insurance company.
- A claim is filed with your insurance company for the total charges, and the insurance company will process the claim and pay in accordance with their negotiated contract terms. We expect payment from your insurance company within 30 days of billing. If they have not paid by then, please follow up with them. We cannot accept responsibility for negotiating a settlement on a claim.
- You will be personally responsible for covering all charges not covered by insurance, including but not limited to co-pays, deductibles, and non-covered charges.
If you have questions about the status of your claim, we will be happy to assist you. Please call us at803-296-5098 or toll-free at 1-800-243-7711, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Palmetto Health will provide financial counseling to uninsured/underinsured patients. This includes help in understanding and applying for local, state and federal health care programs such as Medicaid.
Financial counselors are available to assist you with concerns regarding your account while in our facility. They also will help you establish an acceptable means to pay the hospital for services rendered. You may contact the financial counselors by calling 803-434-3834 or 803-296-3525, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Patient representatives and financial counselors are available to assist with concerns regarding your hospital bills. They also will help establish an acceptable payment plan for your hospital account. If you have any questions after you are discharged, please call a customer service representative in the Patient Accounts department at 803-296-5098 or toll-free at 1-800-243-7711, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Method of Payment
Payment may be made by cash, check, debit card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.
For patient convenience, credit card payments may be made by calling 803-296-5098 or 803-296-3525. You may also pay your bill online at PalmettoHealth.org under the “Bill Pay” heading.
If you overpay your bill, Palmetto Health will issue a refund to you. However, overpayments will be applied to any existing balances owed to Palmetto Health before issuing a check.